For the compote:
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup orange juice
2 Tbsp Spicewalla Mulling spices
1 can pear halves, sliced
6 Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
1/2 cup dried apricots
1/4 cup golden raisins
3 Tbsp dried currants
Pinch Spicewalla Sicilian Sea Salt
For the buttermilk biscuits:
5 cups all purpose flour
2.5 Tbsp baking powder
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, plus extra for finishing
1 cup + 2 Tbsp whole buttermilk
1 cup + 2 Tbsp heavy cream
Make the compote:
- Add the brown sugar, red wine, orange juice, and Mulling Spices to a saucepan over medium heat, simmer for 5 minutes, strain out the Mulling Spices and return the liquid back to the saucepan.
- Add the pears, dates, apricots, raisins, currants and salt to the saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer, turn the heat down to medium/low and cook until the dried fruits have softened and the mixture has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly and enjoy warm or cool in the fridge overnight and enjoy cold.
Make the buttermilk biscuits:
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Place the butter in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Mix all purpose flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Using a cheese grater, grate the butter into the bowl of dry ingredients.
- Add cream and buttermilk, stir until it just comes together.
- Flatten out on floured surface and gently roll to 1” thick rectangle.
- Cut lengthwise into 4 even rows then cut widthwise into 3 even row, resulting in 12 squares.
- Place on a parchment lined sheet pan, making sure the biscuits are touching, brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- While they are baking, melt some butter and brush on top immediately when they come out of the oven.