Part one of our "Winner winner, chicken dinner" series starts us off with the good ol' whole roasted chicken. Not only is this recipe an easy one, it looks like a million bucks, and will provide you with numerous other meals by using the entire bird! The herbaceous brightness of the Green Za'atar really makes this chicken unlike any other. Pair it with roasted root vegetables and garlic to make a one-pot meal that really hits the spot.
P.s. - in Part Two we'll show you how to make a delicious and nutritious chicken stock, so don't get rid of those bird bones!
GREEN ZA'ATAR ROASTED CHICKEN
Time: 1.5 hours
One 5-7 lb whole chicken
Spicewalla Sicilian Sea Salt, to taste
Spicewalla Black Pepper, table grind, to taste
4-5 carrots, roughly chopped
8 cloves of garlic, smashed and peeled
1 small sweet onion, quartered
2 lemons, halved
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 Tbs Spicewalla Green Za'atar
1. Preheat oven to 425*F
2. Remove chicken from packaging, remove giblets and rinse chicken with cold water.
3. Pat dry with paper towels, be sure to get the entire chicken as dry as possible.
4. Generously season with salt and pepper (This step can be done as early as 24 hours ahead and chilled until ready to be roasted)
5. Place carrots, garlic, onion, and lemons in a large cast-iron pan, drizzle with olive oil, season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and toss to coat
6. Nestle the chicken on top of the lemons, garlic, and vegetables.
7. Stir together melted butter and Spicewalla Green Za'atar, brush over chicken, making sure to cover all of the exposed skin.
8. Roast for 45-60 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160*F
9. Rest for 20 minutes before serving.