Chai Time is an ongoing series on Spicewalla’s IGTV featuring chef and Spicewalla founder Meherwan Irani cooking Indian dishes LIVE in his home and answering all your cooking qs. Check out the video for Tandoori Chicken and Lamb Chops here to learn some tips and tricks that only an Indian mom or aunt could teach you! Follow us on instagram to tune in live and join the conversation.
Deshagified, but not deflavourfied, Meherwan Irani is back and showing you how to properly whip up Homestyle Tandoori Chicken & Lamb Chops. This is Irani’s personal recipe for tandoori marinade - based on countless hours, and drumsticks, of tandoori research. No food coloring allowed. Key ingredients in Irani’s recipe includes : Kashmiri chili powder for that iconic, vibrant red ya know and love in tandoori chicken + yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, roasted cumin powder, roasted coriander powder, fenugreek leaves, garam masala, and turmeric powder, and lime juice for acidity.
Post-marinade, the chicken & lamb chops are tossed onto a bed of peppers and onions—which Irani lovingly refers to as his “jugaad hack.” Pro-tip: this helps the chicken and lamb roast/grill equally on all sides, creating a crispy, 360-crust of tandoori flavour.
Homestyle Tandoori Chicken and Lamb Chops
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Roasted Cumin Powder
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Roasted Coriander Powder
Small pinch of Spicewala Fenugreek Leaves
1/4 tsp Spicewalla Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Kashmiri Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Turmeric Powder
1 1/2 Tbs Ginger Garlic Paste
1 1/2 Tbs Kashmiri Chili Paste (directions below)
Healthy pinch Spicewalla Sicilian Sea Salt
Healthy pinch of Spicewalla Black Pepper, Table Grind
1/2 cup thick strained greek yogurt
Juice of 1/2 a lime
4 chicken leg quarters
3 bone-in lamb chops
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
To make Kashmiri Chili Paste:
1.5 cup Dried Kashmiri Chilis
1/4 cup Warm water
1/4 cup White Vinegar
- Remove the stems and add to a blender - add warm water to rehydrate the peppers for a few minutes. Grind the chillies to a smooth paste with a little vinegar.
For the rest:
1. Preheat the oven to 500*F on roast or convection function.
2. Add the yogurt to a mixing bowl. Add all the spices, kashmiri chilli paste and lime juice, stirring well to combine.
3. Remove skin from chicken leg quarters and trim any fat off. Score to the bone in 3-4 places on both sides and season with salt then place chicken in a bowl (we recommend to wear gloves or your hands will get stained!) Place the lamb in a separate bowl.
4. Coat the chicken and lamb in the yogurt marinade, cover and chill for at least 30 minutes, and for no more than 6 hours.
5. Place the onions and peppers on a sheet pan and add drizzle with olive oil. Coat both sides of chicken with oil and place on top of the peppers and onions.
6. Cook until chicken is 175 degrees (around 30-35 minutes). Grill the lamb chops to medium rare. Plate and enjoy!