1 lb ground lamb
2 cups diced onion
1/2 cup yogurt
2 cups crushed tomato
2 Tbs Oil of choice
Handful chopped cilantro
1 Tbs Spicewalla Cumin Seed
Pinch of Spicewalla Black Peppercorn
1 Tbs diced ginger
1 Tbs diced serranos
2 Tbs ginger-garlic paste*
2 tsp Spicewalla Coriander Powder
1 tsp Spicewalla Turmeric Powder
2 tsp Spicewalla Cumin Powder
1 tsp Spicewalla Kashmiri Chilli Powder
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp Spicewalla Garam Masala
Spicewalla Sicilian Sea Salt, to taste
1 Pav (or any soft dinner roll. Hawaiian rolls work best)
*Ginger garlic paste is simply equal parts peeled ginger and garlic pureed/blended together. Blend equal amounts of peeled garlic and peeled fresh ginger (1/4 cup of each into a smooth paste in a food processor - a teaspoon of oil will help it blend smoothly. Will keep refrigerated in a glass jar for at least a month. This stuff is gold - it makes a great base rub on chicken and meats). If you don’t have a food processor, finely mince a tablespoon of ginger and garlic and mix together.
- In a large pot add oil and heat.
- Add cumin seed and a pinch of black peppercorn. Let sputter then add the diced yellow onion.
- Let onions get golden brown and then add diced ginger and diced serranos.
- Saute for a few minutes.
- Add ginger-garlic paste. Saute until the raw smell is gone.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric, cumin powder, red chili powder
- Add a handful of chopped cilantro.
- Saute spices for 1 minute then ground lamb and mix well with the ingredients in the pan making sure nothing sticks to the bottom and then brown the lamb over medium-high heat until fully cooked.
- Add yogurt and continue cooking for 20 minutes then add crushed tomato, sugar, vinegar, and garam masala.
- Check for salt and let cook for 10 minutes.
Griddle Pav (Indian bread) on both sides with butter. Pile kheema high on the bottom bun, drizzle with sweet yogurt, tamarind and green chutney, garnish with chopped cilantro & diced red onions. Top with the other half of the Pav.