for the ribs:
1 rack of baby back ribs, about 3 lbs
1/4 cup Spicewalla Carolina BBQ Rub
for the sauce:
1 Tbs butter or oil
1/4 cup sweet onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
15 oz can of tomato sauce
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
3 Tbs honey
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 tbs soy sauce
2 tsp Spicewalla Smoked Paprika
Spicewalla Sicilian Sea Salt, to taste
Spicewalla Black Pepper Table Grind, to taste
Pinch Spicewalla Cayenne Chilli Powder
- Preheat oven to 300*F
- Pat rib rack dry with paper towels and generously sprinkle with Carolina BBQ Rub, being sure to cover completely.
- Double wrap ribs tightly in tin foil and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for about 2 hours until just fork tender but not quite separating from the bone yet.
- Remove ribs from the oven, unwrap and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Make the sauce: In a medium-sized pan, heat butter or oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic, saute for about 2 minutes until they start to take color. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and whisk together to combine. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 15- 20 minutes until it starts to thicken. Carefully pour the sauce into a blender and puree. Set aside.
- Heat charcoal or gas grill to medium-high heat.
- Cook ribs on the grill over direct heat flipping frequently and brushing each side with the bbq sauce until both sides are well charred, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and let the ribs rest for 10 minutes. Slice ribs between each bone and serve immediately with extra bbq sauce and your favorite sides.