¼ Cup vegetable oil of choice
½ tsp Spicewalla Yellow Mustard Seeds
2 cups diced white onions
6-7 whole kashmiri chillies (substitute any dried chillies if you don’t have Kashmiri)
2-3 sticks Spicewalla Cinnamon
1 tsp Spicewalla Fennel Seeds
1 Tbsp Spicewalla Whole Black Peppercorns
1 tsp Spicewalla Cumin Seeds
4 Spicewalla Cloves
½ tsp Spicewalla Turmeric Powder
1 teaspoon Spicewalla Kashmiri Chilli Powder
6 garlic cloves
2” piece of peeled fresh ginger
¼ rice wine vinegar (substitute any white vinegar if you don’t have rice wine vinegar
¼ cup tamarind paste
2 Tbsp jaggery or dark brown sugar
1-2 Tbsp kosher salt
2 lbs of boneless pork or lamb cut into medium size pieces
1. Toast chillies, cinnamon, fennel, peppercorns, cumin, and cloves in a hot pan on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
2. Blitz the cooled toasted spices with the salt, turmeric, garlic, ginger, tamarind paste, vinegar in a food processor or blender. Blend together to make a coarse paste. Add a touch of water (upto a ¼ cup) if needed to make the paste.
3. Rub the paste onto the pork or lamb well and set aside. You can do this ahead of time and marinade for up to 6 hours.
4. Heat the oil on high heat in a medium-large size pot or large pan and when the oil is almost smoking, turn the heat down to medium and add the mustard seeds and almost immediately the onions. Fry onions with a healthy pinch of kosher salt.
5. When the onions are golden brown, add the kashmiri chilli powder and the marinated meat and brown the meat. Add extra oil is needed. You want to make sure the pan is large enough to where all the pieces of meat get to sear well.
6. Once the meat is browned on all sides, add 3 cups of hot water, another 2 tablespoons of vinegar, and the jaggery. Bring to a boil and lower heat to low. Cover and simmer (stirring occasionally) for 30 minutes or so until the meat is tender.
7. Taste for salt and add as needed. The dish should be spicy, tangy, aromatic with the cinnamon and clove, and just slightly sweet from the tamarind and jaggery.
8. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy with rice or sweet dinner rolls.