Recipe by Chef Preeti Mistry
Chef Preeti Mistry says if they were a spice, they'd be Black Cardamom. So, they created an entire blend with us featuring their soul-spice + some fennel, cumin, and clove for a well-rounded Masala. In this recipe, Chef Mistry grills up some juicy burgers using their Smokey Black Cardamom Masala. Topped with a Raita-Slaw using fresh herbs, cucumbers, scallions, and yogurt, seasoned with cumin.
Watch Chef Mistry make their Smokey Black Cardamom Burgers here, on our IGTV series Chai w/ Friends hosted by Meherwan Irani.
Smokey Black Cardamom Burger with Herby Raita-Slaw
Time: about 1 hour
2 Tbs minced ginger
4 cloves of garlic, minced
4 tsp Smokey Black Cardamom Masala
Kosher salt, to taste
1 medium English cucumber
1 tsp Spicewalla Ground Mustard
1 tsp Spicewalla Roasted Cumin Powder
1 cup greek full fat yogurt
1 large or two small scallions
2 cups red cabbage, julienned
¼ bunch cilantro, picked leaves
¼ bunch mint, picked leaves
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
cheese of your choice (I like cheddar!), thinly sliced
4 burger buns
- In a bowl combine ground beef, ginger, garlic, Smoky Black Cardamom Masala and two generous pinches of salt. Mix with your hands until full incorporated. Divide into four equal portions and roll into a ball. Flatten each ball into a patty and set aside in the refrigerator for 10 minutes or until ready to grill.
- Wash cucumber and grate on the largest holes of box grater. Strain off excess liquid. Season cucumber with mustard and cumin, combine with yogurt and mix thoroughly.
- Cut scallions thinly on the bias and toss with cabbage, fresh cilantro and mint. Season with two generous pinches of salt and rice wine vinegar. Mix the cucumber raita and the slaw and set aside.
- Heat your grill to high on one side and medium/low on the other. Grill chilled burger patties on the hottest part of the grill for about 3-5 minutes, until you get a nice char on the bottom. Flip the burgers over and add the cheese.
- Move burgers to medium heat on the grill and close lid for about 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted to your liking. Toast burger buns on grill, top with burgers and slaw.