Time: 5 hours
Yield: 8 servings
4-pound beef brisket, trimmed
2 Tbs Spicewalla Black Pepper, Course Grind
2 Tbs Spicewalla Sicilian Sea Salt
1 Tbs Spicewalla Spanish Paprika
1 tsp Spicewalla Ancho Chilli Powder
1 Tbs Spicewalla Roasted Cumin Powder
3 Tbs vegetable/canola oil
3 small sweet onions, sliced
1 garlic bulb, cloves peeled and smashed
1 28 oz can whole tomatoes, plus liquid
2 cups red wine or stock or water
Fresh herbs for garnish, optional
- The day before roasting: generously season the brisket with salt, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge overnight.
- Combine the black pepper, salt, paprika, ancho chilli powder and roasted cumin powder in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Remove the brisket from the fridge, pat dry with paper towels and sprinkle the rub evenly over both sides of the brisket. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 250*F
- Heat a stainless steel roasting pan over medium-high heat. Add oil.
- Gently place the brisket into the roasting pan and sear well on both sides, about 8 mins per side.
- Remove brisket from the pan and set aside.
- Add onions to the pan and saute until golden brown and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, and wine. Bring to a simmer and cook about 5-6 minutes until sauce is thick and wine is reduced by half.
- Return the brisket to the roasting pan, nestled on top of the onion mixture. Cover with tin foil.
- Roast for 3-3.5 hours, until internal temperature is 180*F
- Remove brisket from the pan, place on a baking sheet, cover with tin foil and rest for at least 1 hour before carving.
- Transfer the pan sauce to a sauce pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the sauce for about 40 minutes, until thick, occasionally skimming the fat on top.
- Carve the brisket against the grain into 1/4 inch slices. Serve with the pan sauce and fresh herbs.