ROASTED CUMIN AND ANCHO RUBBED BRISKET
Time: 5 hours
Yield: 8 servings
2 Tbs Spicewalla Black Pepper, Course Grind
2 Tbs Spicewalla Sicilian Sea Salt
1 Tbs Spicewalla Spanish Paprika
1 tsp Spicewalla Ancho Chilli Powder
1 Tbs Spicewalla Roasted Cumin Powder
3 Tbs vegetable/canola oil
3 small sweet onions, sliced
1 garlic bulb, cloves peeled and smashed
1 28 oz can whole tomatoes, plus liquid
2 cups red wine or stock or water
Fresh herbs for garnish, optional
PREPARATION1. The day before roasting: generously season the brisket with salt, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge overnight.
2. Combine the black pepper, salt, paprika, ancho chilli powder and roasted cumin powder in a small bowl and stir to combine.
3. Remove the brisket from the fridge, pat dry with paper towels and sprinkle the rub evenly over both sides of the brisket. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 250*F
5. Heat a stainless steel roasting pan over medium-high heat. Add oil.
6. Gently place the brisket into the roasting pan and sear well on both sides, about 8 mins per side.
7. Remove brisket from the pan and set aside.
8. Add onions to the pan and saute until golden brown and translucent, about 10 minutes.
9. Add garlic, tomatoes, and wine. Bring to a simmer and cook about 5-6 minutes until sauce is thick and wine is reduced by half.
10. Return the brisket to the roasting pan, nestled on top of the onion mixture. Cover with tin foil.
11. Roast for 3-3.5 hours, until internal temperature is 180*F
12. Remove brisket from the pan, place on a baking sheet, cover with tin foil and rest for at least 1 hour before carving.
13. Transfer the pan sauce to a sauce pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the sauce for about 40 minutes, until thick, occasionally skimming the fat on top.
14. Carve the brisket against the grain into 1/4 inch slices. Serve with the pan sauce and fresh herbs.