1/4 cup vegetable oil
2.5 cup red onion, diced
6 medium size, ripe, tomatoes, roughly chopped
Lots of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
2 T tamarind (or lime is fine!)
1 jalapeno, cut a few slits in the center
3 garlic cloves
3 Red chillies, 1 Kashmiri Chilli (work with what you’ve got! dont worry about Kashmiri if you don’t have it)
2 Tsp Spicewalla Cumin Seeds
Spicewalla Kashmiri Chilli Powder
½ tsp Spicewalla x Diaspora Turmeric, divided
1/6 c brown sugar
1 lb Shrimp
1. Heat oil in a large pot, add diced red onion. Salt onions to sweat. Leave to cook.
2. In a hot cast iron pan, toast cumin seeds and whole chillies.
3. Add toasted seeds, chillies and whole garlic in nutribullet or food processor. Add dash turmeric powder and 1/4 cup of water. Blend to masala consistency.
4. Put shrimp in a mixing bowl, add salt, dash of kashmiri and turmeric. Mix and set aside.
5. Add jalapeno to onions to cook until browned.
6. Once onions have browned, add the masala to the pan and fry for a few minutes.
7. Add chopped tomatoes and more cilantro. Stir. Let cook for a while, stirring frequently. If it gets too thick, add some HOT water to thin, or leave thick if you prefer.
8. Add in tamarind, incorporate well. Taste, and add brown sugar if it needs more sweetness to balance the tang.
9. Add in shrimp/prawns. Stir for a couple of minutes.
10. Serve with daal and rice. Enjoy!