Tomato season is finally here and this tomato pie is the perfect way to celebrate! We flavored our tomato slices with Dhana Jeera featuring ground cumin and coriander to add some zest and brightness then layered them with cheddar cheese and Dhana Jeera caramelized onions nestled in a buttery flaky crust. We couldn't help but put a Spicewalla twist on this traditional Southern dish. Go on and get you a slice now, honey.
DHANA JEERA TOMATO PIE
Yield: 4-6 servings
Time: 2.5 hours
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup water, very cold
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1 stick plus 2 Tbs unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, very cold
for the filling:
4 medium tomatoes, ripe, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
Pinch of Spicewalla Sicilian Sea Salt
Pinch of Spicewalla Black Pepper, Table Grind
3 tsp Spicewalla Dhana Jeera, divided
1/2 yellow onion, julienned
1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 Tbs mayonnaise
Fresh basil, for garnish
Make/par-bake the pie crust:
1. Preheat oven to 375*F
2. Mix water and salt in a small bowl and place in the freezer.
3. Place flour in a large mixing bowl, add cold butter and break up the butter into flour, pinching with your fingers until butter chunks are pea-sized.
4. Add the salt water and mix until the dough just comes together.
5. Flatten into a disc, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6. Roll out dough on a floured surface into a circle until dough is about ¼ inch thick.
7. Carefully place in a 9” pie pan, trim excess dough to about 1.5-inch overhang, fold overhand under itself around the entire circumference of the dough, pinch together and crimp with fingers.
8. Place a piece of parchment paper inside the pie pan and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
9. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove parchment and pie weights/beans and bake another 10 mins.
10. Set aside on cooling rack while you make the filling.
Make the filling:
1. Turn oven up to 400*F
2. Place tomato slices on a parchment-lined sheet tray. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and 2 tsp of Dhana Jeera. Bake for 5-7 minutes until just tomatoes start to soften. 3. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
4. Caramelize onions: In a medium saute pan, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Once the butter is melted and starting to bubble, add onions and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring often until they are dark golden brown in color. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp of Dhana Jeera and cook for another 2-3 mintues until fragrant. Take off of heat and set aside.
5. Mix cheddar cheese and mayonnaise together in a small bowl until fully combined.
1. Turn oven down to 375*F
2. Evenly spread the cheese mixture onto the bottom of the pie crust, spread the caramelized onions over the cheese mixture. Top with tomato slices and bake for about 30-40 minutes until bubbling and edges of the pie are golden brown. Cool slightly.
3. Garnish with basil and serve warm.