DHANA JEERA TOMATO PIE
Yield: 4-6 servings
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup water, very cold
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1 stick plus 2 Tbs unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, very cold
for the filling:
4 medium tomatoes, ripe, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
Pinch of Spicewalla Sicilian Sea Salt
Pinch of Spicewalla Black Pepper, Table Grind
3 tsp Spicewalla Dhana Jeera, divided
1/2 yellow onion, julienned
1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 Tbs mayonnaise
Fresh basil, for garnish
Make/par-bake the pie crust:
1. Preheat oven to 375*F
2. Mix water and salt in a small bowl and place in the freezer.
3. Place flour in a large mixing bowl, add cold butter and break up the butter into flour, pinching with your fingers until butter chunks are pea-sized.
4. Add the salt water and mix until the dough just comes together.
5. Flatten into a disc, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6. Roll out dough on a floured surface into a circle until dough is about ¼ inch thick.
7. Carefully place in a 9” pie pan, trim excess dough to about 1.5-inch overhang, fold overhand under itself around the entire circumference of the dough, pinch together and crimp with fingers.
8. Place a piece of parchment paper inside the pie pan and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
9. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove parchment and pie weights/beans and bake another 10 mins.
10. Set aside on cooling rack while you make the filling.
Make the filling:
1. Turn oven up to 400*F
2. Place tomato slices on a parchment-lined sheet tray. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and 2 tsp of Dhana Jeera. Bake for 5-7 minutes until just tomatoes start to soften. 3. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
4. Caramelize onions: In a medium saute pan, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Once the butter is melted and starting to bubble, add onions and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring often until they are dark golden brown in color. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp of Dhana Jeera and cook for another 2-3 mintues until fragrant. Take off of heat and set aside.
5. Mix cheddar cheese and mayonnaise together in a small bowl until fully combined.
1. Turn oven down to 375*F
2. Evenly spread the cheese mixture onto the bottom of the pie crust, spread the caramelized onions over the cheese mixture. Top with tomato slices and bake for about 30-40 minutes until bubbling and edges of the pie are golden brown. Cool slightly.
3. Garnish with basil and serve warm.