1 sheet of store-bought frozen puff pastry
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, divided
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, brush
2 tsp Spicewalla Black Peppercorns, freshly ground, divided
1 egg, for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Thaw the puff pastry according to the directions on the box.
- Gently unroll thawed puff pastry sheet and brush with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of the grated Parmigiano Reggiano then with 1 tsp of the freshly ground black pepper
- Use your hands to press the cheese and pepper down into the dough.
- Fold the puff pastry in half and use a rolling pin to roll into a larger square that is 1/8 inch in thickness
- Use a knife or pizza roller to cut the dough into long strips that are about 1 inch wide.
- Twist each side of the strip to create an even spiral and place on a sheet pan lined with garment paper or a silpat. Press each end of the strip down into the paper to make sure it does not unravel. Repeat with remaining straps and place them a couple inches apart on the tray.
- Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Mix the egg with a couple Tbsp of water and whisk together.
- Brush each strip with egg wash, then sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and remaining 1 tsp black pepper.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until puffed and golden brown.