For the crust:
2 tsp kosher salt
2/3 cup water, very cold
3 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, very cold
For the filling:
6 medium Honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
3 Barlett pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
½ cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 Tbs cornstarch
4 Tbs unsalted butter
1 tsp Spicewalla Garam Masala
1 Tbs Spicewalla Cranberry Orange Sugar
Make the pie crust:
- Mix water and salt in a small bowl and place in the freezer.
- Place flour in a large mixing bowl, add cold butter and break up the butter into flour, pinching with your fingers until butter chunks are pea-sized.
- Add water and mix until the dough just comes together.
- Separate dough in half and flatten into two discs, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days ahead.
Make the filling:
- In a large sauté pan add the apples, pears, sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch and butter. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until the apples and pears are started to soften and the mixture has thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the Garam Masala and set aside to cool.
To assemble and bake:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Remove the chilled pie dough from the fridge, unwrap one disc and roll out on a floured surface to about a quarter-inch thickness and at least 1 inch wider than the pie pan.
- Carefully transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie pan and press into the pan. Leave about 1 inch overhang draping over the sides of the pan
- Place the cooled apple filling into the pan and spread out evenly
- Roll out the second disc of pie dough to about the same size and gently place on top of the apple filling.
- Trim excess dough to about one-inch overhang, fold overhang under itself around the entire circumference of the dough, pinch together and crimp with fingers.
- Use a small knife to cut a few vent holes in the top of the pie.
- Place in the fridge and chill for 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with Cranberry Orange Sugar.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Cool for at least 2 hours or overnight. Serve warm or room temperature and enjoy!
**Pie crust can be made several days ahead and stored tightly wrapped in the fridge for up to a week or the freezer for up to a month.
**Pie can be baked up to 2 days ahead of time and kept out at room temperature or refrigerated.