For the crust:
1 tsp kosher salt
⅓ cup water, very cold
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1 stick plus 2 Tbs unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes, very cold
For the filling:
4 whole eggs
½ cup milk
½ cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
½ sweet onion, small diced
1 small leek, thinly sliced
1 pound baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbs Spicewalla Piri Piri
2 cups fresh spinach
Make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 375*F
- Mix water and salt in a small bowl and place in the freezer.
- Place flour in a large mixing bowl, add cold butter and break up the butter into flour, pinching with your fingers until butter chunks are pea-sized.
- Add water and mix until the dough just comes together.
- Flatten into a disc, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface into a circle until dough is about ¼ inch thick.
- Carefully place in a 9” pie pan, trim excess dough to about 1-inch overhang, fold overhand under itself around the entire circumference of the dough, pinch together and crimp with fingers.
- Place a piece of parchment paper inside the pie pan and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove parchment and pie weights/beans and bake another 10 mins.
- Set aside on a cooling rack while you make the filling.
Make the filling:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Whisk together to fully incorporate. Stir in the Gruyere cheese and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat add the oil and heat until the oil is shimmering.
- Add the onions, leeks, mushrooms and Piri Piri. Sauté for about 10 minutes until everything is softened and starting to brown. Add the spinach and cook for another minute until it is wilted. Take off the heat and cool for about 30 minutes.
To assemble and bake:
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Place the cooled, sautéed vegetables in the par-baked crust and spread out evenly.
- Pour the egg and cheese mixture on top of the vegetables and carefully transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the center of the quiche is just set, should be jiggly but not liquid-y.
- Cool slightly before serving and enjoy! Store leftovers in the fridge.
**The quiche can be made at least 2 days in advance and stored in the fridge or can be frozen for up to 3 months.
**To reheat: Place quiche in the oven preheated to 325*F for 15 minutes