Yield: about 24 cookies
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp freshly grated Spicewalla Whole Nutmeg or Spicewalla Nutmeg Powder
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 sticks of butter, unsalted
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp whole milk
1/2 cup dried currants
- In a medium mixing bowl, add salt, nutmeg, baking powder, and flour. Whisk together to combine and set aside.
- Place butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, or use a hand mixer. Cream butter and sugar together until light, about 3 minutes.
- Add egg and milk, mix together until incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until the dough comes together.
- Add currants and mix until just combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured counter and pat into a disc. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat an electric griddle to 350* F or a cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Remove dough from the fridge and dust lightly with flour. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness, dusting with flour as needed. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter or a pint glass, cut out circles and set aside. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Working in batches of about 4 cookies, place them onto a heated griddle or pan, cook about 2 minutes, flip and cook another 2 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack. Serve with butter.
**Dough can be made 1 week ahead and stored in the fridge.
**Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.