For the cornbread:
1 ½ sticks of unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 cups whole buttermilk
¼ cup maple syrup
3 whole eggs
1 ½ cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp baking soda
2 tsp Spicewalla Pescado Verde
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold
For the Pescado Verde Butter:
½ stick butter, room temperature
½ tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp Spicewalla Pescado Verde Seasoning
Make the cornbread:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, buttermilk and maple syrup. Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and Pescado Verde to the bowl and stir together until fully incorporated.
- Place a 12” cast iron skillet on the stove over medium heat for about 5 minutes to heat up the pan. Add the 4 Tbsp of cold butter and stir constantly until the butter has stopped bubbling and has started to smell nutty, this indicates that the butter has browned.
- Take off the heat and immediately pour the cornbread batter into the pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick placed in the center of the cornbread comes out clean.
Make the Pescado Verde butter:
- Combine the butter, salt and Pescado Verde in a small bowl. Serve with the cornbread at room temperature.
**Pro-tip: Combine all the dry ingredients in advance and keep in your pantry until you’re ready to bake!
Watch us make it on Tiny Kitchen Cooking below!