- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar for 7 minutes on medium speed with a paddle attachment. Beat in eggs just until combined.
- Add salt and vanilla on low speed until combined.
- Mix chai spice into flour and add to batter, beating on medium until the dough is pulling clean from the sides of the bowl.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove dough from the fridge and preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Roll out dough with a rolling pin and dust extra flour on the surface to prevent sticking. Cut into desired shapes and be sure to brush off excess flour with a pastry brush before placing cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Freeze cookies on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes to prevent the cookies from spreading and losing their shape.
- Bake cookies for 10-15 minutes and then let cool thoroughly before decorating.
**These cookies are decorated with a simple royal icing.