1 whole skin on pork belly ( ask for thick cut )
For the Rub mix:
1 cups Kosher salt
3/4 cups brown sugar
4 Tbsp Spicewalla Berbere spice
Zest of 3 lemons
2 Tbsp picked thyme
1 roll butchers twine
- Place pork belly skin side up one a cutting board and butterfly being careful not to completely cut through the belly and separate the top and bottom. Leave around 1 inch attached so that the pork belly is able to open like a book. Try not to cut through the top or bottom and have an even slice through the pork belly.
- Mix all the rub ingredients together in a mixing bowl and sprinkle a modest about of the rub in between the 2 pages of the “ belly book “.
- Rotate the cutting board 90 degrees and from the meat only side of the belly begin to roll up the meat while keeping the roll tight. Roll until the skin side is exposed and completely rolled over the rest of the meat.
- Use an overhand butchers knot to tie up the belly starting from the top and going to the bottom while spacing the knots 1 inch apart.
- With the remaining rub mixture cover the skin side of the rolled pork belly with a generous amount of rub.
- Heat oven to 325*F and cook the roulade in a 4 inch deep pan with a roasting rack until an internal temperature of 155*F is reached. Let sit for 10 minutes then cut into desired slices.