3 large eggs
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp Spicewalla Herbs de Provence
1 cup AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 Tbs sugar
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Sicilian Sea Salt
Spicewalla Cyprus Flake Salt, for finishing
- Separate the eggs; place egg yolks in a large mixing bowl and the egg whites in a smaller separate mixing bowl.
- In another mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
- In the bowl with the egg yolks, add ricotta, buttermilk, and Spicewalla Herbs de Provence. Whisk together.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined together. Set aside.
- Whisk egg whites by hand or with an electric/stand mixer to stiff peaks or until white, glossy and holds its shape on the whisk when lifted out of the bowl.
- Add half of the egg whites to the batter and gently fold in, repeat with the other half of the whites.
- Heat an electric griddle to 375*F or a nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Spread a small amount of butter over the cooking surface. Use a 1/4- cup measure to pour the batter onto the pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until bubbles form on the top of the pancake and the underside looks golden brown.
- Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Top with butter and Spicewalla Cyprus Flake Salt.
- For the roasted tomatoes (optional): Preheat oven to 350*F, combine 1 cup cherry tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil and 4 smashed garlic cloves to a cast iron pan or sheet tray. Bake for 30-35 minutes until cherries start to burst. Serve warm.
- Other topping ideas: bacon crumbles, scallion, fresh herbs, lemon zest, creme fraiche or yogurt.