4 tbsp Salted Butter (melted)
1 ½ cups Light Brown Sugar
¼ tsp Salt
4 Large Eggs
1/3 cup Dark Cocoa Powder
2 tbsp Heavy Cream
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
¼ cup Self-Rising Cornmeal
2/3 cups Chopped Dark Chocolate
2 tsp Spicewalla Green Cardamom Powder
1 Cara Cara Orange (zested & juiced)
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 cup Salted Butter (cold & cubed)
2 tbsp Light Brown Sugar
½ tsp salt
3-4 tbsp cold water
9inch Pie Tin
1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tbsp Light Brown Sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 375.
2. For the crust combine the flour, salt, sugar and cubed butter in a medium sized bowl.
3. Rub the butter into the flour between your fingers until small pea sized pieces are formed.
4. Slowly add your water a tablespoon at a time until dough comes together and can be formed into a ball/disc.
5. Wrap your dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 25-30 minutes.
6. Once chilled roll your dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll until dough it around 1 inch wider than your pie tin.
7. Fold dough into quarters to make for an easier transfer. Once dough is placed in your tin, you are going to roll and tuck your excess dough around the entire perimeter of the pie creating the outer crust for crimping.
8. To crimp place your outer thumb and pointer finger in a pinching position and with your inner knuckle press in to create a crimp.
9. Once entire pie is crimped placed in the freezer to chill for 10-15 minutes.
10. For the filling add your cocoa, brown sugar, salt, cardamom, and cornmeal to a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
11. Add the eggs, zest, juice, melted butter, heavy cream, chopped chocolate, and vanilla. Whisk well until fully combined.
12. Pour into crust and bake for 55-65 minutes. You will be able to tell the filling is cooked all the way through when a knife inserted into the middle comes out with small moist crumbs (similar to fresh baked brownies).
13. For the whipped cream combine heavy cream, vanilla, & sugar. Whip by hand or with a mixer until stiff peaks are formed.
14. Once pie is completely cooled, top with whip, a few grates of orange zest, and a final sprinkle of cardamom and you’re all done! Enjoy!