As sweater weather and soup season approaches, the yearning for a crispy, crunchy, gooey grilled cheese starts to set in. Curb your craving with our version of this classic comfort food. We added the warm, earthy flavors of our Garam Masala blend featuring black pepper, cumin, and nutmeg to complement the creamy Fontina and sharp white cheddar. If you really want to get fancy, add a few thin slices of a Granny Smith apple to this sammy.
garam masala grilled cheese
Yield: 1 delicious grilled cheese
Time: 10 minutes
1/2 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Garam Masala
2 Tbs unsalted butter, divided
2 slices of sourdough bread
- In a small bowl, combine Fontina, cheddar, and Garam Masala and stir together to evenly combine.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat then add 1 Tbs of the butter to pan. Once the butter starts to bubble, place one slice of the sourdough bread in the pan and pan-fry in the butter for about 1 minute
- Add the cheese mixture on top of the sourdough slice in the pan and continue to cook for another minute. Place the other slice of sourdough on top of the cheese and gently press down, add the remaining 1 Tbs of butter to the pan and flip the sandwich over, swirling around the pan to soak up the butter.
- Cook for another 2 minutes on this side until golden brown and the cheese is fully melted.
- Remove from the pan, slice in half and serve immediately. Enjoy!