Just in time for Valentine's Day, our friends at French Broad Chocolate sent us this delicious, simple recipe that will surely impress your honey and wow them with romance.
Slightly sweet, slightly spicy, this chocolate tart is made with the finest cacao sourced from Matagalpa, Nicaragua. We've also added our own smoky ancho chilli powder to provide a hint of fruity sweetness, without adding too much heat. "Like biting into a chocolate pillow," this dreamy dessert will have you and your special someone whispering sweet nothings through mouthfuls of spicy-chocolate bliss.
For this recipe you'll need:
1 small bowl
1 medium sized bowl
1 medium sized glass bowl
1 small sauce pan
1 10" tart pan
& a rubber spatula
Shortbread Crust Ingredients
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup sugar
¾ tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1 egg yolk, reserved
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Melt butter and place in a medium glass bowl.
3. Stir in sugar, salt and vanilla.
4. Add flour and mix until just blended.
5. Press dough into the bottom and side of a 10” tart pan.
6. Bake 20-25 min. until golden brown.
7. Whisk one egg yolk with a pinch of salt in a small bowl and brush the crust with it.
8. Bake 1 minute, then remove crust from the oven.
Chocolate Filling Ingredients
1 cup of heavy cream
1 egg lightly beaten
1. Combine Dark Chocolate Chips and Ancho Chilli Powder in a medium bowl
2. Bring the cream to a boil in a small saucepan
3. Pour boiling cream over Dark Chocolate Chips and chilli powder
4. Let sit 1 minute to melt the chocolate
5. Whisk gently (do not incorporate air) until smooth
6. Add the egg and whisk gently to combine
7. Pour mixture into crust and smooth with rubber spatula
8. Bake at 350º for 12-15 minutes or until edges are just set and center jiggles a little when nudged
Many thanks to the wonderful, Tony Scalia for being our personal chef during this shoot. If anyone is ever looking for fresh bread, a beautiful pie, or a well cooked steak, give this guy a call!
Want to see the rest of the meal? Click here for our juice NY Strip Steak recipe. Click here for our Harissa Broccolini side dish.