Veda says, "The inspiration came from my desire to create a cookie that captures the taste of traditional milk sweets and evokes quintessentially Indian flavors like golden milk and chai spice. As someone bridging two cultures, I wanted to marry both of my worlds together in this dessert." So come on now, give 'em a whirl!
CONDENSED MILK COOKIES WITH GOLDEN MILK AND CHAI SPICE ICING
1 14 oz can of condensed milk
2 cups flour, sifted
¼ cup King Arthur brand malted milk powder
¼ tsp Spicewalla Cardamom Seeds, crushed
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
8 oz softened cream cheese
1 ¾ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp Spicewalla Golden Milk
1/4 tsp Spicewalla Chai Masala
sprinkle of salt
crushed pistachios, or other nut of your choice
FOR THE COOKIES:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sift the flour into a bowl and then add the malted milk powder, the crushed cardamom seeds, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
3. In a medium sized mixing bowl, use a hand blender on low setting to cream the softened butter with the condensed milk. Then, add a little bit of the dry ingredients at a time as you continue blending on low.
4. Once everything begins to combine, use a spatula to mix the dough. Once the dough is evenly formed, roll into tbsp size balls and flatten slightly into rounds. Place on cookie sheets sprayed with non-stick spray or on parchment paper.
5. Bake for 10-11 minutes. Once done, take off the cookie sheets and place on a cooling rack. Wait until completely cool before icing.
FOR THE ICING:
1. In a mixing bowl, cream the softened butter with the softened cream cheese using a hand blender on medium speed.
2. Then add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and sprinkle of salt and continue blending until you get the desired creamy icing texture.
3. Divide the icing evenly into 2 bowls. Add ¼ tsp golden milk to one bowl and ¼ tsp chai masala spice to the other bowl. Stir to combine.
4. When ready to ice the cooled cookies, add a dollop on the center of the cookie and gently spread evenly. You can add a sprinkle of each spice blend over the icing if you want a little extra spice. Finally, sprinkle the crushed pistachios on top.
Note: The icing will be soft, so wait a little while before placing in any containers. When you are ready to store them, place either waxed paper or parchment paper between the layers when stacking. The cookies are actually best the next day as the icing will harden a little and the cookies will soften.
Jalsa By Veda LLC