2 ¼ cups All Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp finely Ground Spicewalla Mulling Spice
4 Tbsp Spicewalla Hot Chocolate
½ cup Mulled wine
1 Cup (2 Sticks) Unsalted butter
1 Cup (Packed) brown Sugar
2 Lg eggs
2 tsp Orange zest
¾ cups Molasses
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1/3 cup Dark 70% chocolate
Toppings ( Optional)
Garnish with Finely chopped Crystallized ginger, Dried orange slices, Star anise, Golden sprinkling sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the cakes: Grease and flour one 8 inch bundt pan.
- Whisk the cocoa powder and mulled wine in a small bowl. Keep aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, spices and salt; set aside.
- Working in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or using an electric mixer), beat together the butter and brown sugar on medium until smooth. Add eggs and orange zest, and beat on medium-high speed, about 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl or liquid measuring cup, add the molasses and baking soda. In a small saucepan, bring the mulled wine mixture to a boil over high; pour it over the molasses and baking soda and whisk until combined. (The mixture will froth.)
- Beat in a third of the flour to the butter mixture on low until combined, then half the mulled wine mixture. When it’s blended, add half the remaining flour, all the remaining mulled wine, then the rest of the flour, beating to blend after each addition. Batter will be runny.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan, swiveling the pan to level the batter. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean, rotating halfway through. Let cakes cool in pans for 15 minutes, then unmold and transfer the cake to wire racks to cool fully.
- Prepare the Glaze: Heat the heavy cream in a small bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Add the chocolate and whisk until you get a smooth, shiny mixture.
- Pour the chocolate glaze over the cooled cake. Decorate with dried orange slices, star anise, some golden sugar, or crystallized ginger bits, chocolate pearls or sprinkles, if desired. Refrigerate for 1 hour (or up to 3 days) before serving.