for the lavender cream:
1 cup heavy cream
2 tsp Spicewalla Lavender Flowers
4 Tbs sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
for the shortcake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbs sugar
1 1/2 tsp Spicewalla Sicilian Sea Salt
1 Tbs baking powder
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces, chilled
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
Few pinches of raw sugar
for the cherries:
2 pounds dark cherries, pitted
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbs lemon juice
1. Start the lavender cream: Pour the heavy cream into a small saucepan, bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat and add lavender flowers. Cover and steep for 20 minutes. Strain and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 400*F
3. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Stir together.
4. Add butter pieces to the bowl and toss to coat in flour. Use your fingers to pinch butter pieces and work into the flour until they have formed pea-sized chunks.
5. In a separate mixing bowl combine the heavy cream and sour cream, whisk together until fully incorporated.
6. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the cream mixture into the center. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, gently stir together until starting to form a ball.
7. Use your hands to gently knead the dough inside of the bowl until all of the flour is incorporated. The dough will be sticky.
8. Generously dust flour over your working surface and turn out the dough from the bowl. Sprinkle more flour over the top of the dough and gently press into a square, about 1" thick.
9. Cut into 6 equal-sized squares and place on a parchment-lined sheet tray. Sprinkle with raw sugar and place in the fridge for 20 minutes. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Let cool slightly.
10. Make the filling: combine cherries, sugar, and lemon juice in a bowl and stir together. Set aside.
11. Remove the lavender steeped heavy cream from the fridge and pour it into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Add the vanilla extract and sugar, whip on medium-high speed to soft peaks. This can also be done by hand with a whisk!
12. To assemble: Cut the shortcakes in half, spoon the cherry mixture over the bottom half, add a generous dollop of lavender cream and place the top half of the shortbread on top. Enjoy!