1 lb fresh haricot verts or green beans
¼ lb butter (unsalted)
1 large sweet onion
½ lb seasonal mushrooms
5 cloves garlic (minced)
1 cup half & half
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp AP flour
3 shallots (sliced into rings)
¾ cups grated Gruyere cheese
1 Tbsp Spicewalla Harissa
- Remove stems from beans and cut in half. Blanch in salted boiling water for 2 minutes the cool in an ice bath.
- In a skillet heat half the butter and sautee the onions and mushrooms on high heat until onions and mushrooms start to caramelize then add garlic and cook for 1 more minute and remove from the pan.
- In the same skillet put in the rest of the butter and add flour to make a roux. Add in cold half & half, milk and harissa. Simmer on medium heat for around 8 to 10 minutes until the mixture thickens a bit.
- While cream mixture is at a simmer submerge shallots in a neutral oil and turn to high heat. stir shallots continuously until shallots are crispy and strain from oil. Spread crispy shallots on a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- When cream mixture has thickened place the mushroom and onion mix in a baking dish and mix in the green beans. Then pour cream mixture over top. Sprinkle gruyere in a thick layer over top and cook at 350 degrees until cheese is bubbling and starting to brown, about 20 min.
- Remove baking dish and layer crispy shallots over top and cook for 2 more minutes in the oven and then serve.