1/2 cup tapioca pearls, soaked 2 hours in water
4 medium sized potatoes, boiled and smashed
1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp fresh garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp green chiles, deseeded and chopped
A few fresh curry leaves, chopped (optional)
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Turmeric
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Kashmiri Chili Powder
Pinch of Asafoetida powder/Hing
Spicewalla Sicilian Sea Salt, to taste
1-2 cups neutral cooking oil with high smoke point, we used Safflower
Crushed peanuts, optional
- In a bowl, combine tapioca pearls, potatoes, onion, cilantro, ginger, garlic, and chillis. Stir to incorporate, add curry leaves, turmeric, kashmiri, asafoetida, and a good pinch of salt. Mix to combine.
- Portion into golf-ball size balls and flatten to form a ½ inch thick patty.
- Heat oil in a saute pan over high heat, there should be about 1 inch of oil in the pan.
- Gently place patties in the hot oil, make sure patties are fully submerged in oil. Cook for a few minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown.
- Place patties on a paper towel to dry off excess oil.
- Pair with crushed peanuts, chutney, or ketchup and enjoy!