ALOO TIKKI - CRISPY POTATO CROQUETTES
Time: 40 minutes
Yields: 8-10 Small Potato Croquettes
4 yellow potatoes, medium size, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup safflower oil, plus more for frying
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Brown Mustard Seeds
6-8 fresh or dried curry leaves (optional)
1 Tbs fresh ginger, blitzed into a paste
1 Tbs fresh garlic, peeled and pressed
1 fresh green chili, deseeded and chopped
1/4 tsp Hing (asafetida)(optional)
1/4 tsp Spicewalla Kashmiri Chilli Powder
1/4 tsp Spicewalla Turmeric
Small bunch of fresh cilantro
1/4 tsp Spicewalla Chaat Masala (optional)
1/2 of a lime, juiced
A few pinches Spicewalla Sicilian Sea Salt, to taste
1. In a large pot, add the potatoes and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook the potatoes until fork tender. Strain out the water and mash the potatoes, set aside.
2. Heat a pan over high heat and add 1/4 cup oil. Add in mustard seeds, they should "pop" when hot enough. Add in curry leaves, fresh ginger and garlic. Stir to incorporate, turn heat down to medium-high. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add in green chili and hing powder, if using. Stir, and cook a few more minutes until everything starts to lightly brown.
4. Add in turmeric and kashmiri powders. Stir to incorporate and cook for another 2 minutes on medium heat.
5. Turn heat off and add in cilantro, chaat masala and lime juice. Add salt to taste.
6. Grab your bowl of mashed potatoes, add hot oil mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
7. In a nonstick pan on medium-high heat add enough oil to cover the base of the pan so the potato croquettes can be halfway submerged.
8. Form small patties out of the potato mixture. Add the patties to the hot oil, fry on each side about 3 minutes each side, or until golden brown.
9. Serve immediately with fresh cilantro or chutney! Enjoy!