4 yellow potatoes, medium size, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup safflower oil, plus more for frying
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Brown Mustard Seeds
6-8 fresh or dried curry leaves (optional)
1 Tbs fresh ginger, blitzed into a paste
1 Tbs fresh garlic, peeled and pressed
1 fresh green chili, deseeded and chopped
1/4 tsp Hing (asafetida)(optional)
1/4 tsp Spicewalla Kashmiri Chilli Powder
1/4 tsp Spicewalla Turmeric
Small bunch of fresh cilantro
1/4 tsp Spicewalla Chaat Masala (optional)
1/2 of a lime, juiced
A few pinches Spicewalla Sicilian Sea Salt, to taste
- In a large pot, add the potatoes and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook the potatoes until fork tender. Strain out the water and mash the potatoes, set aside.
- Heat a pan over high heat and add 1/4 cup oil. Add in mustard seeds, they should "pop" when hot enough. Add in curry leaves, fresh ginger and garlic. Stir to incorporate, turn heat down to medium-high. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in green chili and hing powder, if using. Stir, and cook a few more minutes until everything starts to lightly brown.
- Add in turmeric and kashmiri powders. Stir to incorporate and cook for another 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Turn heat off and add in cilantro, chaat masala and lime juice. Add salt to taste.
- Grab your bowl of mashed potatoes, add hot oil mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
- In a nonstick pan on medium-high heat add enough oil to cover the base of the pan so the potato croquettes can be halfway submerged.
- Form small patties out of the potato mixture. Add the patties to the hot oil, fry on each side about 3 minutes each side, or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with fresh cilantro or chutney! Enjoy!