THE CHAI PIE
FOR PIE CRUST:
1 tsp Salt
⅓ cup Water, very cold
1.5 cups AP flour
1 stick plus 2 Tbs Unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes, very cold
FOR CHAI CUSTARD FILLING:
½ cup Honey
1 cup Heavy cream
1 cup Whole milk
2 Tbs Spicewalla Chai Masala
¼ tsp Salt
1 tsp Vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
1.5 cups Sugar
1/3 cup Water
1 T Light corn syrup
5 Large egg whites
¼ tsp Cream of tartar
Pinch of salt
TO MAKE PIE CRUST:
- Preheat oven to 375*F
- Mix water and salt in a small bowl and place in the freezer.
- Place flour in a large mixing bowl, add cold butter and break up the butter into flour, pinching with your fingers until butter chunks are pea-sized.
- Add water and mix until the dough just comes together.
- Flatten into a disc, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface into a circle until dough is about ¼ inch thick.
- Carefully place in a 9” pie pan, trim excess dough to about 1.5-inch overhang, fold overhand under itself around the entire circumference of the dough, pinch together and crimp with fingers.
- Place a piece of parchment paper inside the pie pan and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove parchment and pie weights/beans and bake another 10 mins.
- Set aside on cooling rack while you make the filling.
TO MAKE CHAI CUSTARD FILLING:
- Turn oven down to 300*F
- Place honey, cream, milk, and Chai Masala in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk together and carefully watch mixture until it starts to give off steam.
- Remove from heat, do not bring to a boil.
- Whisk together eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl, very slowly and carefully pour the liquid into eggs while whisking constantly. Add salt and vanilla.
- Pour filling into crust and bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Be sure not to overbake the filling, remove from the oven when the very center is still slightly jiggly.
- Cool completely at room temperature, then chill in the fridge overnight or at least 4 hours before serving.
TO MAKE MERINGUE:
- Place sugar, water, and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and cook until mixture registers at 235-240*F on a candy thermometer.
- While sugar is cooking, place egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Using the whisk attachment, whip egg whites on high speed until doubled in size.
- Once the sugar mixture has reached the proper temperature, turn the mixer down to medium speed and slowly pour sugar into the whites. Once all of the sugar is added, turn the mixer up to high speed again and whip to stiff peaks.
- Spoon mixture on top of the cooled pie and place in the broiler for 2 minutes to torch the meringue. A handheld torch can be used as well.