For the cake:
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Spicewalla Chai Masala
1 1/4 cup sour cream
For the topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp Spicewalla Chai Masala
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a 9x5" loaf pan with butter and parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and Chai Masala, stir together. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in a stand mixer or with a handheld mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs and mix again until incorporated, scraping down the bowl if needed.
- Add 1/3 of dry ingredients to the bowl and mix to combine, then add 1/2 of the sour cream to the bowl and mix to combine. Repeat this step once more, then add the last 1/3 of the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. You may have to stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowls a few times during this process.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Make the topping: Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and stir together until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the batter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool, slice, and enjoy!
Made this today and my house smells AMAZING! But when cooling the cake sunk in the middle, dramatically. Tastes great and it’s fully cooked. Not sure what went wrong. Has anyone tried this in an 8×8 pan instead of a loaf pan?