Originally hailing from Spain but gaining it's popularity in Mexico, a cold glass of spicy-sweet horchata is something to be experienced. Essentially a sweetened milk made from rice and almonds, horchata is the perfect compliment to a spicy burrito or a rich plate of mole poblano.
As if this bebida couldn't get better, we decided to kick things up a notch by adding our Chai Masala blend and añejo tequila into the mix. The flavours of cinnamon, cardamom & ginger combined with the rich nuttiness of aged tequila will have you horchatting about this drink to all your friends.
boozy chai horchata
1. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
2. Add white rice, sliced almonds, chai masala, and salt to a large heat-safe bowl and carefully pour the bowling water over the mixture. Stir well.
3. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
4. Pour the rice mixture into a blender, and puree until very smooth.
5. Fine strain into a large container or pitcher, and discard any solids.
6. Stir in the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and vanilla extract.
7. Add 2-4 cups of additional cold water until you have the desired consistency (some prefer it to be a little creamier, but I like mine to be thinner so I’m adding more water!)
8. Serve over ice with 1.5oz reposado or añejo tequila.
9. Dust with chai masala over the top of the drink, and enjoy!