1. Place the potatoes in a large pot with enough cold water to cover and 5 tablespoons of salt.
2. With the heat on high, bring water potatoes to a boil and then let them simmer for 3-4 minutes.
3. Let them cool to room temp. Spread plastic wrap on the counter and, once potatoes are cool, smash them one by one on the plastic wrap ( this keeps them from sticking to your counter or cutting board).
4. While you smash the potatoes, heat oil to 330-340ºF in a heavy-bottomed, wide pot to deep or shallow fry the potatoes (based on your preference).
5. Once hot, add the smashed potatoes in batches and fry until nicely golden. Drain well.