4 large egg whites
pinch of Spicewalla Sicilian Sea Salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3 Tbsp cold water
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp cornstarch
For blueberry sauce:
2 cups fresh blueberries, divided
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons Spicewalla Coriander Powder
for mascarpone cream:
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup mascarpone
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
To Make Meringues:
- Preheat oven to 275°F
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer, whip egg whites, salt and cream of tartar together on medium-high speed until doubled in size, about 3 minutes.
- Turn the speed down to low and slowly add water and sugar to the bowl while mixing.
- Turn the speed up to high and whip to stiff peaks (when you remove the whisk from the bowl and turn it upside down, the "peak" at the top of the whisk should hold its shape).
- Add the vanilla and cornstarch, mix on low until they are just incorporated.
- Spoon meringue onto cookie sheet in 6 equal portions. Using a spoon or offset spatula, form into a "dome" shape.
- Bake for 30 mins, then turn the oven down to 250°F and bake for another 15 minutes. Turn off the oven but do not open the door. Keep meringues in the oven with the light on for at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours.**
To make blueberry coriander sauce:
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup of blueberries, water, and sugar to a boil.
- Continue to boil and stir for 10-15 minutes until blueberries have softened and mixture has begun to thicken.
- Remove from heat, add reserved cup of blueberries and coriander powder, stir to combine. Set aside to cool.
To make mascarpone cream:
- Add cream, mascarpone, sugar and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer, whip on medium-high speed until thickened.
- Top each pavlova with mascarpone cream and blueberry sauce. Enjoy!
**The oven light gives off just enough heat to dry out the meringues without overcooking them, keeping their outside shell crispy and insides soft and pillowy. Taking the meringues out of an oven that is too hot will cause them to crack!
*Meringues can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for 1 day. Keep them away from humidity!
*Blueberry sauce can be made up to 3 days before the rest of the recipe.
*Mascarpone cream should be made right before serving