For the batter:
2 cups apple cider
2 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
2 tsp Spicewalla Apple Pie Spice
1 tsp salt
10 Tbsp butter, unsalted
¾ cups brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
For sugar topping:
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp Spicewalla Apple Pie Spice
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease two donut baking sheets.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat bring the apple cider to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until reduced to ⅔ cups, about 20 minutes. Place in a heat safe container and cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl combine the all purpose flour, baking powder, Apple Pie Spice, and salt. Whisk together to fully combine and remove clumps. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment add the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugar on medium high speed until light in color and fluffy, about 10 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. **You can also use a hand mixer for this.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix on medium speed until fully incorporated.
- Mix in the cooled apple cider reduction on medium-low speed until homogenous.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into a large piping bag and cut the tip about 1 inch up from the bottom. Pipe the batter into the donut pan about two-thirds full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes then remove the donuts from the pan onto a cookie sheet or wire rack.
- Make sugar topping: combine the granulated sugar and Apple Pie Spice and stir together and a shallow bowl.
- Brush the melted butter over the warm donuts then gently toss in the sugar mixture to coat.
- Cool the donuts completely then enjoy!