Chai Time is an ongoing series on Spicewalla’s IGTV featuring chef and Spicewalla founder Meherwan Irani cooking Indian dishes LIVE in his home and answering all your cooking qs. Check out the video for Akuri here to learn some tips and tricks that only an Indian mom or aunt could teach you! Follow us on instagram to tune in live and join the conversation.
AKURI aka PARSI STYLE SCRAMBLED EGGS
Spicewalla Sicilian Sea Salt to taste
3 T vegetable oil (not olive)
2/3 cup diced tomatoes
2 T diced serranos (or any green chili de-seeded)
1/4 tsp Spicewalla x Diaspora Co. Turmeric
1/4 tsp Spicewalla Kashmiri Chili Powder (or Spicewalla Cayenne)
2 T half and half or heavy cream
2/3 cup chopped cilantro
2 T cold butter
1. Sauté onions in oil on medium high heat in a large non stick pan with a generous pinch of salt till edges browning.
2. Add tomatoes and chilies, cook till tomatoes have melted and add turmeric and red chili powder.
3. Stir for a minute and add 2/3 of the cilantro.
4. Sauté for another minute and turn heat off.
5. Whisk eggs and half & half well (but don’t let the eggs gets frothy).
6. Turn heat back to low and add the eggs.
7. Cook at low heat stirring frequently.
8. Eggs will start to form curds in 5-6 minutes. Add the butter in small chunks and stir in.
9. In another 3-5 minutes eggs will be done. They should be soft and creamy.