1.5 lbs Russet potatoes, grated
½ yellow onion, grated
1 large egg
2 Tbsp Matzo meal or plain breadcrumbs
1 tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp Spicewalla Black Pepper, Table Grind
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
¼ cup schmaltz (rendered chicken fat), optional
2 Tbsp Spicewalla Za'atar, plus extra for garnish
Spicewalla Cyprus Flake Salt for garnish
- Place grated potato and onion in a cheesecloth or thin rag and squeeze the excess liquid into a bowl to dry out the mixture as much as possible.
- Place potato and onion in another mixing bowl and add with egg, matzo meal (or breadcrumbs), salt, pepper, and Zaatar. Stir together to combine. Set aside.
- Carefully pour out liquid from the onion and potatoes that was squeezed from the cheesecloth, leaving behind the potato starch at the bottom of the bowl. Add that starch to the latke mixture.
- Heat oil and schmaltz (if using) in a 10 inch cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Scoop ¼ cup of mixture and form into a patty about 4 inches wide.
- Gently place 3 latkes in the pan at a time. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown, place on paper towels to soak up extra oil.
- Sprinkle with more Za’atar and Cyprus Flake Salt while they are still hot.
- Serve immediately with sour cream and applesauce.