2 ounces semisweet chocolate baking bar, finely chopped
2 Tbsp Spicewalla Hot chocolate, Chai Spice Hot Chocolate, or Mexican Hot Chocolate
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 tsp Spicewalla Hot chocolate, Chai Spice Hot Chocolate, or Mexican Hot Chocolate
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Flour or unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting ramekins
1/2 cup salted butter, melted, plus more for ramekins
1/2 cup granulated sugar
6 tsp buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp red liquid food coloring
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 large egg yolk
Cream Cheese Whipped Cream
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 tsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 Tbs Spicewalla Hot chocolate, Chai Spice Hot Chocolate, or Mexican Hot Chocolate (Optional)
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Prepare the Cakes: Combine chopped semisweet chocolate, Spicewalla Hot chocolate of choice and heavy cream in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high 30 seconds. Let stand 1 minute; whisk until melted and smooth. Place plastic wrap directly on chocolate mixture (to prevent a skin from forming); chill until firm, about 2 hours. Chocolate mixture can be prepared 1 day in advance; store, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease 4 (8-ounce) ramekins with butter; dust with flour or unsweetened cocoa, and tap out excess. Whisk together flour, Spicewalla Hot chocolate of choice, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together melted butter, granulated sugar, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla, vinegar, and egg yolk in a separate bowl. Add butter mixture to flour mixture, and whisk just until blended. Divide batter evenly among prepared ramekins.
- Using a small (1 1/4- or 1 1/2-inch) cookie scoop, portion chilled chocolate mixture into 4 balls. Place 1 chocolate ball in center of batter in each ramekin, pressing lightly. (Chocolate will sink into batter as it bakes.) Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until center springs back when lightly pressed, about 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Cream Cheese Whipped Cream: Stir together cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth. Add heavy cream and Spicewalla Hot chocolate of choice if using; beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, 30 seconds to 1 minute, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Remove cakes from oven. Immediately run an offset spatula or thin knife around outer edge of cakes to loosen; invert each red velvet cake onto a serving plate. Dust cakes evenly with powdered sugar. Top cakes with Cream Cheese Whipped Cream, and serve immediately.