1.5oz coconut & golden milk infused rum*
1.5oz pineapple juice
.75oz fresh lime juice
.25oz demerara syrup*
coconut & golden milk rum
8oz white rum (I used Plantation 3 Star)
2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
1 tsp Spicewalla Golden Milk
1 cup demerara sugar
1/2 cup water
to make the coconut & golden milk rum:
1. Heat coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until melted.
2. Place rum, melted coconut oil, and Golden Milk in a jar or container with a lid, and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds to incorporate the oil and spices (this technique is called fat washing!)
3. Place container in the freezer for at least 5 hours. The coconut oil will rise to the top of the container and solidify.
4. Remove from freezer and discard the hardened coconut oil layer. Pour rum through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth.
to make the demerara syrup:
1. Dissolve sugar into boiling water either by heating on the stovetop or using a hot water kettle, stirring until sugar crystals are completely dissolved.
2. Allow to cool completely, then bottle and store in the fridge!
to assemble the cocktail:
1. Add the infused rum, Aperol, pineapple juice, lime to a cocktail shaker.
2. Fill the shaker with ice and shake hard!
3. Strain into a glass of your choice over fresh (preferably crushed) ice.
Optional: Garnish with a pineapple wedge or two pineapple leaves if using fresh pineapple!
Note: Be sure to use either freshly juiced pineapple, or choose a juice that is high quality and not from concentrate. Dole works great!