For the pie dough:
1 tsp salt
⅓ cup water, very cold
1.5 cups AP flour
1 stick + 2 Tbs unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes, very cold
1 egg yolk + 1 tsp water for egg wash
For the strawberry sumac jam:
1 cup strawberry preserves
5 Tbs water
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbs Spicewalla Sumac
pinch of kosher salt
pinch of Spicewalla Pink Peppercorn
For the frosting:
1 egg white
½ tsp vanilla
1 Tbs strawberry sumac jam
1 tsp cornstarch
½ cup powdered sugar
Make the pie dough:
- Preheat oven to 375*F
- Mix water and salt in a small bowl and place in the freezer.
- Place flour in a large mixing bowl, add cold butter and break up the butter into the flour, pinching with your fingers until butter chunks are pea-sized.
- Add water and mix until the dough just comes together.
- Separate dough into two equal portions. Flatten each into a small square, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Make the strawberry sumac jam:
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Cook for 5-7minutes and remove from heat.
- Place jam in a shallow baking dish or on a plate and chill in the fridge
Make the frosting:
- Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl. Consistency should be thick but pourable.
- Roll one of the chilled doughs into a 12” x 12” square, about ⅛ inch thickness, trim edges to create straight lines.
- Cut square vertically into 4 equal columns each measuring 3” wide, then cut horizontally into 4 equal rows each measuring 3” wide. You will have 12 3”x3” squares. Place squares on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat with the other dough and chill all 24 squares for 15 mins.
- With a fork, poke holes into 12 of the squares, these will be the top layers of the pop tarts.
- Place 2 tsp of strawberry sumac jam onto other 12 squares, cover each with a “poked” square and press edges together, use a fork to crimp edges and seal.
- Repeat until all 12 are assembled. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until beginning to turn golden-brown on edges. Cool completely.
- Spoon frosting over each pop tart and sprinkle with more Spicewalla Sumac and Spicewalla Pink Peppercorn.
Just a note – cutting into 4 columns AND 4 rows yields 16 squares. Not 12 rectangles liked you’d expect from a pop tart. 😘