This recipe features perfectly matched flavors of strawberry and sumac jam wrapped in flaky pie crust, topped with strawberry frosting and pink peppercorn "sprinkles." And who doesn't love a portable dessert? These mini pop tarts take some effort, but they are 100% worth it. Don't have time to make pie dough? Store-bought dough works just fine!
Strawberry Sumac Pop Tarts
Yield: 12 portions
Time: 1.5 hours
For the pie dough
1 tsp salt
⅓ cup water, very cold
1.5 cups AP flour
1 stick + 2 Tbs unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes, very cold
1 egg yolk + 1 tsp water for egg wash
For the strawberry sumac jam
1 cup strawberry preserves
5 Tbs water
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbs Spicewalla Sumac
pinch of kosher salt
pinch of Spicewalla Pink Peppercorn
For the frosting
1 egg white
½ tsp vanilla
1 Tbs strawberry sumac jam
1 tsp cornstarch
½ cup powdered sugar
Make the pie dough:
1.Preheat oven to 375*F
2. Mix water and salt in a small bowl and place in the freezer.
3. Place flour in a large mixing bowl, add cold butter and break up the butter into the flour, pinching with your fingers until butter chunks are pea-sized.
4. Add water and mix until the dough just comes together.
5. Separate dough into two equal portions. Flatten each into a small square, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Make the strawberry sumac jam:
1. Place all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Cook for 5-7minutes and remove from heat.
2. Place jam in a shallow baking dish or on a plate and chill in the fridge
Make the frosting:
1. Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl. Consistency should be thick but pourable.
ASSEMBLY:1. Roll one of the chilled doughs into a 12” x 12” square, about ⅛ inch thickness, trim edges to create straight lines.
2. Cut square vertically into 4 equal columns each measuring 3” wide, then cut horizontally into 4 equal rows each measuring 3” wide. You will have 12 3”x3” squares. Place squares on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
3. Repeat with the other dough and chill all 24 squares for 15 mins.
4. With a fork, poke holes into 12 of the squares, these will be the top layers of the pop tarts.
5. Place 2 tsp of strawberry sumac jam onto other 12 squares, cover each with a “poked” square and press edges together, use a fork to crimp edges and seal.
6. Repeat until all 12 are assembled. Brush with egg wash.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes until beginning to turn golden-brown on edges. Cool completely.
9. Spoon frosting over each pop tart and sprinkle with more Spicewalla Sumac and Spicewalla Pink Peppercorn.