3 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 1/2 cups whole milk (or oat milk)
1 small can sweetened condensed milk
4 oz semisweet chocolate, broken up into chunks
3 tbsp demerara sugar
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Ground Mace
1 tsp Spicewalla Kashmiri Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Cinnamon Powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 oz Green Chartreuse, if you're feeling fancy
Lightly sweetened whipped cream for serving, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine sweetened condensed milk and demerara sugar to make the Dulce de Leche.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until reduced by half and golden in color, about 10 minutes. Set aside for later.
- Bring 3/4 cup of water to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in cocoa powder until no lumps remain.
- Add milk and vanilla and return to a simmer.
- Whisk in chocolate chunks and 1/2 cup of reserved Dulce de Leche.
- Cook until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes, whisking frequently.
- To serve, divide hot chocolate among mugs. Add 1 oz of Green Chartreuse and give it a quick stir.
- Top with whipped cream and a drizzle of Dulce de Leche. Dust with cocoa powder & Kashmiri chili powder.