spicy dulce de leche hot chocolate
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 1/2 cups whole milk (or oat milk)
1 small can sweetened condensed milk
4 oz semisweet chocolate, broken up into chunks
3 tbsp demerara sugar
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Ground Mace
1 tsp Spicewalla Kashmiri Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Cinnamon Powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 oz Green Chartreuse, if you're feeling fancy
Lightly sweetened whipped cream for serving, optional
1. In a small saucepan, combine sweetened condensed milk and demerara sugar to make the Dulce de Leche.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until reduced by half and golden in color, about 10 minutes. Set aside for later.
3. Bring 3/4 cup of water to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
4. Whisk in cocoa powder until no lumps remain.
5. Add milk and vanilla and return to a simmer.
6. Whisk in chocolate chunks and 1/2 cup of reserved Dulce de Leche.
7. Cook until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes, whisking frequently.
8. To serve, divide hot chocolate among mugs. Add 1 oz of Green Chartreuse and give it a quick stir.
9. Top with whipped cream and a drizzle of Dulce de Leche. Dust with cocoa powder & Kashmiri chili powder.