butter, for greasing pan, or parchment
1/2 cup of unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into small cubes
1/3 cup of granulated sugar
1 cup of wholemeal rye flour
1 cup of almond flour
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Ground Green Cardamom Powder
Coarse brown sugar or extra granulated sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease your pan with butter or line with parchment.
- Using your mixer, beat together the cubed butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the rye flour, almond flour, cardamom, and cinnamon to the mixture. Beat together till dough forms.
- Using your hands, gather the dough together and press into a smooth ball.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Using a fork, prick holes evenly over the surface, pressing right through the dough.
- Score the dough with a knife to create light indentations to form individual triangles (if using a round pan) or rectangles (if using a square pan).
- Bake the shortbread for 40–45 minutes, until the edges begin to look golden brown and the center has puffed slightly.
- Remove cookies from the oven and cut all the way through the scored slices again.
- Leave in the pan until cold.