3 cups + 2 tablespoons All-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
2/3 cup toasted walnuts, chopped*
1/3 cup of candied ginger, chopped*
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Spicewalla Ground Clove
1/4 tsp Spicewalla Ground Green Cardamom Powder
1/8 tsp Spicewalla Nutmeg Ground
1 cup water
3/4 cup pumpkin puree*
1/4 cup Maple Syrup*
*Feel free to substitute the toasted walnuts or candied ginger for your favorite mix of nuts, seeds, and/or dried fruit
*Instead of the pumpkin puree, butternut squash, sweet potato, or any other winter squash puree may be substituted.
*Honey, date syrup, or agave may be used in place of the maple syrup
- In a 2 quart mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, yeast, spices, toasted walnuts, and candied ginger (or other desired mix-ins of choice).
- In a small mixing bowl add water, pumpkin puree, and maple syrup. Whisk together until smooth.
- Pour pumpkin mixture over flour mixture and stir just until all of the flour is absorbed. The dough will look “shaggy” and be quite sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise for 12-18 hours.
- After the long rise, pour the dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball. Place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1-2 more hours.
- At least a half-hour before the dough is ready, heat the oven to 450°F. While the oven heats, place your pot with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes.
- When it's time to bake your loaf, using oven mitts, remove the hot pot from the oven. Lift the parchment paper along with the dough and gently place into the hot pan. Cover and return to the oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the lid and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the loaf is a dark, golden brown.
- Remove the pot from the oven and let it cool on a rack.