Blackberries and chocolate are a match made in heaven. We created this quickie five ingredient chocolate mousse recipe that cuts on time and effort but definitely doesn't skimp on decadence. The blackberry sumac sauce is really the star of this dish with fruity and bright flavors to perfectly balance out the rich chocolate flavor.
Blackberry Sumac Chocolate Mousse
Time: 4 hours total
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
1 tsp instant espresso powder
1 Tbs sugar
1 tsp vanilla
For the blackberry sumac sauce:
12 oz fresh blackberries, save a few for garnish
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp Spicewalla Sumac
1 tsp lemon juice
- Place the chocolate chips into a large heat-safe bowl
- Heat 1/2 cup of the heavy cream in a small pot over medium heat until simmering or in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Pour the heated cream over the chocolate chips, add the espresso powder and let the mixture sit for 2-3 minutes. Use a whisk or spatula to stir together until the mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl combine the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream, sugar and vanilla. Whip the cream to stiff peaks.
- Add the whipped cream to the chocolate mixture in 3 additions, gently folding in the whipped cream after each addition. After all of the whipped cream has been added, continue to fold until there are no more white streaks in the mixture and it is homogenous.
- Portion the mousse into serving dishes and chill, covered, for at least 3 hours or up to 12 hours.
- Make the blackberry sauce: Combine the blackberries, cornstarch, sugar and a splash of water in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Once the blackberries begin to soften after a few minutes use the back of a spoon to gently break them apart in the pan. Continue to simmer for 4-5 more minutes until the mixture has thickened.
- Strain the blackberry mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl, discard the seeds and pulp (or save to throw in a smoothie!). Stir in the sumac and lemon juice. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Remove the mousse and sauce from the fridge, pour the sauce over the mousse right before serving and garnish with sliced blackberries and finely chopped chocolate. Enjoy!