⅔ cup dried cherries
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 cup fine polenta or fine cornmeal
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbs Spicewalla Blue Poppy Seeds
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1 Tbs lemon zest
1 tsp almond extract
12 Tbs unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
Sanding sugar or raw sugar for finishing
- Place cherries in a bowl and cover with water, set aside and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Whisk flour, polenta, sugar, salt, baking powder, and poppy seeds together in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, egg yolk, lemon zest, and almond extract, whisk together and set aside.
- Add the cubed butter to the bowl of dry ingredients and toss to coat, use your hands to flatten and break up the butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Drain the dried cherries and add them to the bowl along with the wet ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to stir everything together until it starts to form a dough.
- Flatten out the dough with your hands and form into a square. Wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, unwrap and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a larger square that is about ½ inch thick. Cut the dough into 16 squares by cutting 4 equal rows down and 4 equal rows across. Then cut each square in half diagonally to form a triangle.
- Place each triangle onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350*F
- Brush each cookie with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden.
- 11. Cool at room temperature and enjoy!