Olive Oil shortcakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Spicewalla Cardamom Sugar (+ extra for sprinkling over top)*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp lemon zest*
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup of milk (dairy or non-dairy are both great!)
- 1 egg, whisked with 1 tbsp of water for egg wash (optional)
Macerated Berries and Freshly Whipped Cream
2 cups of fresh strawberries, washed and sliced into quarters
- 1 cup of freshly washed blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Prepare the berries first to macerate while the shortcakes bake:
Place a large metal mixing bowl in the fridge. Combine the berries in a large bowl. Stir in the 3 tbsp of sugar. Taste the berries, adding more sugar if necessary. Let the berries sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
Olive Oil shortcake Biscuits
Preheat the oven to 450˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Whisk in the zest if using.
- In a measuring cup, beat together the milk and the olive oil together with a fork till fully combined.
- Pour the olive oil and milk mixture over the dry ingredients. Fold them together with a spatula until no dry patches remain and the dough comes together without sticking to the bowl. The dough will be oily but not sticky.
- Drop shortcakes: From here, you can either scoop out 3 tbsp-sized pieces of dough and drop them, spaced about 2” apart on the lined baking sheet.
- Folded shortcakes: (this method creates the tall, square, flaky shortcakes as seen in the photo).
- Dust the counter with flour and roll the dough into a long rectangle. Fold one short-end into the middle, then the other end over the top of that to create a square letter fold. Rotate the dough and roll it out once more into a long rectangle. Repeat the envelope fold.
- Pat the folded square into an 8' x 8' square, using an oiled knife, slice off the edges to reveal layers, then cut the square into 9 individual biscuits. Place the squares 2” apart on the lined baking sheet.
- If using, lightly brush the tops of the biscuits with the egg wash, then liberally sprinkle the extra cardamom sugar over top.
- Bake the biscuits for 12-15 minutes, until the top and edges turn slightly golden and crisp, and the biscuits have risen.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Whip the cream + Assemble the shortcakes
In the large, chilled metal bowl, whip the heavy cream and sugar to soft peaks with an electric hand or stand mixer. (Use immediately or refrigerate, covered until ready to serve).
- Carefully split the shortcakes in half by slightly inserting a paring knife into the side of each cake, then gently pull the two halves apart. Dollop each bottom half with the whipped cream, and spoon over the berries. Top with the other half, and serve immediately.