Time to flex those mussels! This easy, affordable dish comes together in no time and will make you feel extra fancy. Our Nora Chilli Flakes take center stage in this buttery broth with earthy, mild and fruity flavors that pair perfectly with shellfish. Serve with toasted bread and all the lemon your heart desires!
Nora Chilli Mussels
Yield: 4 servings
Time: 1 hour
1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbs unsalted butter, divided
1 shallot, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbs Spicewalla Nora Chilli Flakes
2 cups dry white wine
3 pounds fresh mussels, cleaned and de-bearded
1/2 cup fresh herbs, chopped
Juice of 1/2 lemon plus more for serving
- Inspect the mussels for cracks or mussels that are open. Tap the open mussels on the counter, if they close within a few minutes they are still fresh, if they don’t close, throw them out.
- Heat a dutch oven over medium-high heat, add olive oil and 2 Tbs of butter
- Once the butter is melted, add the shallot, garlic and Nora Chilli Flakes and saute for 2-3 minutes stirring frequently
- Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 5-6 minutes
- Add the mussels, turn the heat down to medium, cover and steam until all of the mussels are opened, if you find any that aren’t open, throw them out
- Remove the mussels and place them on a serving platter or bowl
- Add the remaining 1 Tbs of butter to the broth along with half of the fresh herbs and the juice of 1/2 of a lemon and simmer for about 1 minute until thickened.
- Pour the broth over the mussels and garnish with the remaining fresh herbs and lemon wedges. Enjoy!