When you think about the holidays, you think about family, traditions, turkeys, pies, hot cider, cool breezes, tight squeezes, leaves crunching, static electricity, gifts, your Uncle Harry's bad jokes, Grandma Ruth's bright red lipstick, laughing, crying, and of course.... PUMPKIN SPICE LATTES!
I know what you're thinking, "No! not you too Spicewalla! With your hip branding, young-cool looking staff, and indie business philosophy! How could you fall to the dark side?" To that I say: HAVE YOU EVEN TRIED ONE? THEY'RE DELICIOUS!
When we talked about developing the Holiday Collection we wanted to focus on the flavors that were nostalgic to us. Drinking mulled wine with my Dad and playing cards while we waited for the thanksgiving feast to be completed was an important memory for me. Isaac wanted an apple pie spice to remind him of his Uncle George exclaiming "No 'i', no pie!" as he waited for the ice cream to accompany its lonely apple pie partner out on the kitchen table. Then it came to the pumpkin pie. We talked a lot about whether or not to join in on the Pumpkin Spice frenzy and came to realization that whether we like it or not, this "basic" spice blend is the nostalgic flavor of this generation. Memories will be made with Pumpkin Spice everything, and if you can't fight 'em, join 'em!
We zipped up our fleece vests, pulled up our Ugg boots, and turned up that Mariah Carey Christmas jam. All I want for Christmas is you, Holiday Collection!
If you're still thinking you're too cool for the PSL, I've got your back with this Pumpkin Pie Spice cookie recipe.
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cream together butter and sugars.
- Add vanilla and eggs, mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add 1/2 of the flour mixture to batter mix well.
- Add remaining flour mixture, mix well.
- Add oats and pecans (if you're into nuts)
- Drop spoonfuls of dough on cookie sheets and bake for approx. 8 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 5-6 dozen.
Enjoy with a piping hot cup of mulled wine, or dip 'em in your favorite seasonal coffee drink, we don't care. As long as you're making memories with Spicewalla.
Want to stay in the loop about all of the freshest and spiciest news? Sign up for our newsletter here.