2 ¼ cups All Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp finely Ground Mulling Spice
1 Cup (2 Sticks) Unsalted butter
1 Cup (Packed) brown Sugar
2 Lg eggs
2 tsp Orange zest
¾ cups Molasses
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
½ cup Orange Juice
12 oz Cream cheese
¾ unsalted butter
1 ½ Tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt
6 cups Powdered sugar
Garnish with Finely chopped Crystallized ginger
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the cake: Grease and flour one 8 inch bundt pan
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, spices and salt; set aside.
- Working in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or using an electric mixer), beat together the butter and brown sugar on medium until smooth. Add eggs and orange zest, and beat on medium-high speed, about 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl or liquid measuring cup, add the molasses and baking soda. In a small saucepan, bring the orange juice to a boil over high; pour it over the molasses and baking soda and whisk until combined. (The mixture will froth.)
- Beat in a third of the flour to the butter mixture on low until combined, then half the orange juice mixture. When it’s blended, add half the remaining flour, all the remaining orange juice, then the rest of the flour, beating to blend after each addition. Batter will be runny.
- Pour Batter into prepared Bundt Pan and Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean, rotating halfway through. Let cakes cool in pans for 15 minutes, then unmold and transfer the cakes to wire racks to cool fully.
- Prepare the frosting: Use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the butter and beat until smooth. Add the vanilla and salt, and mix briefly. On low speed, add the confectioners’ sugar, cup at a time. After all the sugar is incorporated, scrape the bowl, then beat the frosting on medium-high for 15 seconds.
- Microwave frosting in 15 second intervals, stirring between each session until the frosting is war and a pourable consistency. Pour frosting over cake and let sit. Top with a smattering of crystallized ginger bits, chocolate pearls or sprinkles, if desired. Refrigerate for 1 hour (or up to 3 days) before serving.