4 cups AP flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp kosher salt
2 Tbs Spicewalla Caraway Seeds
4 Tbs (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1 3/4 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1 cup dried currants (raisins or cranberries can be used as well)
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Line a sheet tray with parchment, set aside
- Whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and caraway seeds in a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter cubes to the dry ingredients and use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour until they form coarse crumbs, no large chunks.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir together with a spoon until it forms a sticky dough.
- Stir in currants.
- Turn out dough onto a generously floured surface and form into a round loaf.
- Place on the sheet tray and cut an X into the top of the loaf with a sharp knife.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool slightly before slicing, serve with butter. Enjoy!