What better way to celebrate Oktoberfest than with soft pretzels and mustard?! These bad boys won't stay around long and are best enjoyed right out of the oven. We seasoned ours with Everything Bagel Seasoning and Cyprus Flake Salt but there's no end to the creative possibilities!
Our homemade mustard recipe is a real Spicewalla stunner. Featuring our yellow mustard seeds, turmeric, and Spanish paprika, this spicy condiment is the perfect match for soft pretzels. Who knew making your own mustard was so easy? Spoiler alert: you won't want to buy store-bought again.
EVERYTHING BAGEL & CYPRUS FLAKY SALT SOFT PRETZELS
WITH HOMEMADE YELLOW MUSTARD
Yield: 12 pretzels
Time: 3 hours
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1 packet of active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
1 Tbs brown sugar
2 Tbs neutral oil
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbs kosher salt
1 large egg for egg wash
Spicewalla Everything Bagel Seasoning, as needed
Spicewalla Cyprus Flake Salt, as needed
1/2 cup baking soda
- Place lukewarm water and yeast in a large mixing bowl and stir together, let sit for 5 minutes until yeast begins to foam.
- Stir in brown sugar and oil to the water/yeast mixture
- In a separate bowl combine flour and salt, stir together.
- Add flour to the liquid mixture and stir until a dough has formed.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
- Return dough to the bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450*F. Line 2 sheet trays with parchment paper.
- Turn the dough out again onto a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll the dough on the table to form a rope about 10 inches long. Fold the rope in half and twist the ends. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add baking soda. Working in batches, boil the pretzels for 30 seconds and carefully remove from the water. Place on prepared sheet trays 2 inches apart.
- Mix egg with 1 tsp water and brush evenly over pretzels. Sprinkle generously with Everything Bagel Seasoning and Cyprus Flake Salt.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until dark golden brown. Serve immediately with mustard.
SPICY YELLOW MUSTARD
Yield: 1 1/2 cups mustard
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup water
1 Tbs honey
1 tsp Spicewalla Ground Turmeric
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Sicilian Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Spanish Paprika
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl, stir to combine. Cover and let sit overnight.
- Pour contents into a blender and blend, slowly increasing speed until smooth and fully pureed. Add water to thin if needed.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge, mustard will stay fresh for up to 1 month.