Sweet, spicy, salty...these cookies have it all. First we kicked up these bad boys with lots of ginger and black pepper, baked them to perfect soft and chewy perfection, then topped them with creamy dulce de leche and sprinkled with flaky salt to create the perfect trifecta of flavor. They’re not too hard on the eyes either!
Dulce de Leche Ginger Cookies
Yield: about 24 cookies
Time: 1 hour
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1 Tablespoon Spicewalla Ginger Powder
¼ tsp Spicewalla Black Pepper, Table Grind
1 tsp Spicewalla Cinnamon Powder
1 tsp baking soda
12 Tbs of unsalted butter
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup molasses
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
Raw sugar, as needed
Dulce de leche, to finish
Spicewalla Cyprus Flake Salt, to finish
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, ginger, black pepper, cinnamon, and baking soda together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with a hand mixer, add the butter and brown sugar. Cream together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes, scraping down the bowl a few times as needed.
- Add the egg, molasses, and vanilla extract to the sugar mixture and mix on medium speed until fully incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined, be careful not to overmix!
- Chill the dough for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325*F.
- Remove the cookie dough from the fridge and roll into 1 inch balls. Roll each ball into the raw sugar and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are set but the middle is still soft.
- Cool completely at room temperature. Spread dulce de leche on each cookie and sprinkle with flake salt. Enjoy!